Superintendent's Weekly Newsletter August 7, 2020

 Newsletter Highlights Include:

  1. Transportation Survey

  2. School Committee Meeting

  3. Graduation

 

Hello,

 

Earlier this week a survey was sent out on transportation. As we continue our process of planning for the start of the school year, we need to know how many students will need to ride the bus each day. This is critically important given the fact that we can only have 1 student per seat and all seats will be assigned. With buses running at just 1/3 capacity this information is essential to guide our planning. If you have not taken the survey please click on the link below.

 

https://forms.gle/YeyW71Udb1CkbXVWA

 

On Wednesday August 12 at 7PM, I will present to the Douglas School Committee which model I recommend to start the school year using. The two options are either a hybrid model (2-1-2) or a fully remote model. All of us are prepared to execute either model, but with a final vote taking place on the 12th, we will be able to finalize our plans and share them with you. On Thursday morning I will email the community which model was selected if you are not able to watch the meeting. For the week of August 10th I will not host any staff or community forums as there isn’t any new information to share until after the 12th. The week of the 17th I will resume my weekly informational forums. 

 

I would like to extend my heartfelt congratulations to the Douglas Class of 2020. I have a strong and personal connection to this class even though I have never met you. My own daughter is a member of the Class of 2020. Like yours, her senior year was changed. As both an educator and a parent I saw the impact this pandemic had on your senior year. You missed, proms, senior week, traditions, parades, and all the regalia that is associated with being a senior; this is not what any of us wanted. But today we celebrate YOU! We celebrate your hard work, dedication, and your accomplishments. Sadly I will not be at graduation today in Douglas as my own daughter graduates at 6PM tonight. Like many of the parents and caregivers in Douglas, I am the proud parent of a graduate of the Class of 2020. I wish each of you a memorable ceremony, which you deserve, and all the best as you start the next chapter in your lives.

 

 

Best,

 

Paul Vieira

Superintendent of Schools

 

 

 


Popular posts from this blog

Superintendent's Weekly Update July 24, 2020

Back to School Survey July 15, 2020

Superintendent's Weekly Update 7/30/2020